Latest android OS Jellybean (Android 4.1) ships with default Malayalam font and font included in 4.1 is AnjaliNewLipi-light.ttf.
All browser based apps render Malayalam content properly expect one “Ra” issue. But, all non-browser apps have ligature rendering issue. Malayalam Complex script layout is not rendered properly.
Google confirmed it as a known issue.
we have an interim option to fix the rendering issue if you are already rooted your Jellybean device. . I’m not encouraging anybody to root your device and I do not take any responsibility for anything you do to your phone, whether be brick, break, or somehow mess it up
Warning: If you make below change, you must delete AnjaliNewLipi-light.ttf in System/font folder
1. Install Root Explorer or ES File Explorer from Google Play.
2. Open ES File Explorer and enable Root Explorer, Mount File System options in settings
3. Copy /system/etc/system_fonts.xml & fallback_font.xml to your computer
4. Download modified system_fonts.xml, fallback_font.xml to your computer
5.Copy modified system_fonts.xml, fallback_font.xml to ” /system/etc/ ” Directory
6. Delete AnjaliNewLipi-light.ttf in System/Font
7. Copy Kaumudi-Sans.ttf to System/Font
8. Reboot your phone or Tablet